Sunday, August 9, 2009

1 Step Forward, but too Many Back...

After making great strides toward being released from the hospital on Friday, including getting to eat some Jello, Saturday brought several huge steps backwards for Dad. It appeared the insertion of the PEG tube was a success on Friday and Dad would be released from the hospital on this upcoming Monday. But on Saturday he began running a bit of a fever. By Saturday night his fever was very high and his heart rate was speeding along at a scary clip. The hospital called Mom about 10 Saturday night to tell her they were moving him to ICU, because his heart wasn't doing what they wanted it to (whatever in the heck that means!). So, Mom, Amy, and Sue separately sped to the hospital to find the old guy not looking so great.


His fever kept increasing and his heart rate was around 155 and they couldn't get it to go down. After running a number of tests through the middle of the night to determine the problem, they called in his surgeon around 3:30 am. Even though Dad was a bit out of it, and really struggling with the heartrate, he still managed to cuss a blue streak when he heard the words 'operating room.' So, much to his dismay, back to the OR he went for a few hours this morning, while the girls had a basically sleepless night. They had to reopen almost the entire incision from the Whipple Procedure (let's all utter a collective 'ouch') and discovered that the PEG tube was leaking internally. In essence, his system was poisoning him and he had an internal infection. So, the surgeon 'washed and scrubbed his insides' and removed the PEG tube. A different type of tube was inserted from his stomach to drain it. As the surgeon said, "the new tube is stitched in so tight I could almost lift him with it." How's that for a yummy thought?

So, now where are we???? After my ridiculously optimistic string of 'hopefullys' on Friday, we'll now go with 'who knows, but here's what we want'... the new stomach drain will allow him to be released from the hospital once he's able to be up and about. He will have to still get the liquid tube feeding for food and empty the stomach drain at home, but he will get to have clear liquids, like coffee (one of his favorites, although not nearly up there with a Schlafly's beer). The bad news, since this was yet another stomach operation, the clock resets on the 10-14 day waiting period for the stomach to start working. He will have to stay in Denver, under the care of his surgeon, until the stomach starts working, so it appears that will be several more weeks.

The 2 questions I'm getting the most are: How is Mom holding up? and How much weight has Dad lost? In a nut shell, the answers are 'pretty good, all things considered' and 'a lot.' I'm more thankful for my sisters than I can say. They are constantly splitting time amongst their own families and the hospital. Mom is staying with Sue and Jeff and I'm thankful she doesn't have to go home by herself at night. Plus, Sue and Jeff are plying Mom with loads of wine and seem to know when it's a 1-glass with dinner or a get-Mom-drunk-and-put-her-to-bed kind of night. In the week I was out there we went through at least 1 case of wine. My niece and nephew's college funds could be in jeopardy if this continues, or they're going to have to switch to Boone's Farm Wine!

Dad is down about 35 pounds since most of you have seen him. We have a longtime joke in our family that Dad, over the years, grew into his ears. I have a feeling his ears are making a huge
proportional comeback. If you don't believe me, check out their wedding picture that I've added to this post. Dad was 20-30 pounds less than he is now when he got married, so they probably don't look quite as huge as they do in this picture. Mom had to have the poofy veil just to compete! Hopefully, the Jello and juice will help him put back on a few pounds, while he bides his time until egg mcmuffins and beer!



2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the updates on Hanks health. Lets hope things quicken up with his recovery. Do they have any beer flavoured jello at the hospital??

    Henry and Elaine are lucky to have such great support from their family. Best wishes to all of you.

    Kathy, Can you please contact me via my email oncall@tpg.com.au

    Keith B.
    Sydney, Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kath, I'm at a loss for words, and you know how hard that is for me! I wish I could wave my magic wand (did you know I had one?) and make it all go away.

    We will continue to pray our hardest for everyone in your family, especially your Dad and Mom.

    I'm here is you need ANYTHING...and please let your Mom know that as well. I would do anything I can for you guys.

    Try to take it one step at a time, heck, even one hour at a time...that worked best for me...I love you!!

    ~Jules

    ReplyDelete