Saturday, October 17, 2009

"Lighten Up Dutch"

I am sad to say that Dad passed away last night. I'm pretty much at a loss for words this morning. The phrase 'Lighten up Dutch' has been in my mind all morning. Dad told me that about a million times over the last 35 years. Apparently, I got the lionshare of his stubbornness. It is one of my favorite 'Hankisms.' Although I didn't appreciate it most of the times he told me that :)

I'll post the wake and funeral details here when I have them. But, I'll leave you with a few Hankisms. The first is one I'm sure he has thought recently...

Who signed me up for this shit?
I'm just a kid from Dogtown, what do I know?
Don't let the bastards get you down.

5 comments:

  1. I went to visit him this morning and was told to contact the family. Then I come home and read this. I wanted to tell Henry that I don't like it when my friends are in trouble and I use my shield to protect them. Prayer is my shield. Hank is my friend. I know your family is comforted that he holds the hand of Our Savior and in the arms of Mary. Myself and all the rest of us at JHF will miss him profoundly and his memory will always be with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Henry: You were the heart and soul of the Tontine Chapter...and you always will be. May God rest your soul and bless your wonderful family and friends...and maybe a few enemies, too. We will miss you. Jim McCoy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kathy - I am praying for all of you - please let me know if I can do anything for you - I'm so sad for you all.... Love you- Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry for your loss.
    BCCA 2259

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear of Hank's passing. I planned on being at the book signing and still will be there for whatever the event will be. "Whatever" reminds me of another Hankism from something he had posted in his car when he was working I think.
    "Whatever it takes" and I think he demonstrated that in these last few months. My heart hurts for you, Elaine, and all of "E's daughters" as we used to call you. Hugs and prayers coming your way.

    ReplyDelete